Many of our health club owners have cardio cinema rooms, movie viewing in childcare, etc. With so much video content available, showing movies in your fitness center has never been easier.
A critical factor when showing motion pictures to the public that is often overlooked is the requirement of a public performance license in accordance with the US Copyright Act. Fines for noncompliance start at $750 for any inadvertent infringement and are as high as $150,000 for each egregious violation.
As you may know, Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) is an independent copyright licensing agency authorized by over 1,000 motion picture studios and producers to grant the Umbrella License®. The license allows clubs to show motion pictures and other audiovisual programs in compliance with the US Copyright Act.
ABC Financial has negotiated with MPLC to provide a reduced public performance license fee for our clients. A discount has been secured for 10% off the 2016 Umbrella License fees detailed below:
Child Care Program Only
- This license option only covers exhibitions held within a child care program, kids club or children’s program.
- $285 per club, per year
General Club Use
- This license option covers member exhibitions at your club.
- $555 per club, per year (does not include the child care program)
- $745 per club, per year (includes the child care program)
- This license option covers member exhibitions held in cardio theaters or exhibitions transmitted on televisions 55” or larger in size.
- $820 per club, per year (does not include the child care program)
- $950 per club, per year (includes the child care program)
If you are one of the many health clubs that already has an MPLC license and you are paying the rates above, please call MPLC for a term extension and a lower renewal rate. If your current rate is lower than the rates above, then no action is necessary as you are already locked into a lower fee structure.
For those looking for a simple solution to secure an Umbrella License for your club and ensure comprehensive copyright compliance, please complete the application provided in the attached brochure and send it directly to MPLC.
Should you have any questions about MPLC or the reduced license fee offered to ABC Financial client clubs, you may contact MPLC directly at (800) 462-8855 or online at www.mplc.org.
Executive Vice President